I'm exhausted but wide awake. This time tomorrow evening, I'll be basking in the afterglow of our March houseconcert--Pierce Pettis.
I'm so thrilled to host Pierce at The Sprouted Acorn--honored that he'd say "yes" to such a small venue when people of less stature than he have said no. Maybe it will help us get our foot in the door elsewhere. Bring some good music to this sleepy 5,000 horse town.
And the numbers will help, too. As of now, the count is at about 66 guests. Sixty-six! That's a whole lotta people milling around my kitchen, ya know? I'm really looking forward.
The cheesecakes are in various stages of done-ness. Fifteen-year-old Houdin made two--a milk chocolate oreo crust cheesecake and a turtle cheesecake, and I made a caramel cashew cheesecake and a chocolate cherry cheesecake, with cherries actually baked in between layers of cheesecake. Tomorrow it will be time to make my electric roaster full of lentil soup, prepare the cabin for Pierce's overnight stay, and get ready for a rush of people.
It's been a lot of work. It still will be a lot of work. But it's something I enjoy. I often wonder if I could make a living doing this houseconcert thing. Would people come? Could we make any money? Right now, 100% of ticket sales go to the artist, and we lose money every time--with food, paper products, coffee, preparing for the day, etc. But the family enjoys it, and I'm always completely floored when I sit on my couch and watch these amazing musicians fill my home with their incredible sounds.
I have to sleep. I need to sleep. Do I want to sleep? Of course not. But once I get there, I'll be glad I did.
