Saturday, July 02, 2005

Maybe I would have passed chemistry...

...if they would have had experiments like this.

Dan Williams, amateur pyrotechnician, shares what looks like a fairly simple way to make a super sparkler. I'm sure this isn't for kids, but if you're an adventurous family, you can check out this page and make your own Super Sparklers with some basic tooling and common chemical compounds. There is a warning that the metal from this sparkler can drip and, of course, burn right through skin. I suppose that suffices as a warning?

I'm sure I would have been interested in the kind of experiments you'll find here, though most of the tutorials are under construction. I plan to check back on this one and appeal to the natural pyromaniac in my 14-year-old son and 38 year-old husband.

If you're more interested in reading about fireworks than you are comfortable with actually making any, you can check this thorough explanation of how fireworks work, which includes a short fireworks display video. Read it now so you'll be prepared for those questions from inquisitive ever-learning minds on Monday. Best of all, I bet you'll learn something yourself!

You might like these posts, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin