It's around this time of the year that I get a bit peckish, longing for a nip of garlic cheddar, montery jack or even a bit of horseradish cheese. You can find me raiding the cooler for a baggie of cheese tidbits, tasty morsels that will sustain me throughout the day and and give me fodder for my daily dose of Dr. Pepper.
It's Christmas at the Cheesehouse again.
Every year for the past five years (except for the year I was pregnant with The Baby), I have been working in the mail order room of one of our local cheese manufacturers. This is a great fit for me. I LOVE cheese. I've often said that I could exist on bread, fruit and a little smidgen of something dairy--gorgonzola, harvarti, gruyere, smoked cheddar, baby swiss, sharp cheddar. I could even, if I had to, forgo my Dr. Pepper if I could keep my sour cream, Double Gloucester and my real butter.
So, this season, I'm delighted. Cheese all around me. Completely at my disposal. On a whim, I can sample some of the world's finest cheeses. I can even order a hot sandwich--thick bread with Amish butter cheese, a patty melt dripping with butter, thick-cut steak fries smothered in sharp cheddar. Isn't it sinful?
I have to admit that my intention today was to avoid the temptation of all that extra fat by bringing in a bottle of ice water and a lunch bag of almonds, trail mix and fruit. After all, I just sit here all day. Sit, talking on the phone to people from all around the globe who love cheese. Who order cheese. Who talk about cheese.
I made it all of seven hours today before caving. I simply must...have...my...tidbits.
To offset the impending damage, I'm hoping, planning, determined to walk to work. It will definitely be a challenge during these Ohio winters, but I think it's going to be necessary. There's a spiral staircase leading up to my little corner of cheeseworld, and if I'm not careful, I may not fit. Could be a touch painful upon reentry.
Over the next few weeks, I'll be grabbing a moment here and there to blog about life in the cheesehouse, what it's like to be a SAHM tinkering around in the working world, and what the damage is when I return home.
In the meantime, will you join me for a taste of fondue? Maybe a cracker with a smidgeon of Boursin? Or how about Mirabo Walnut...?
