Wednesday, November 09, 2005

On Being Appreciated

When I walked through the door yesterday, they all waved and smiled at me. "Hello! We've missed you! We're so glad you're back!" A big hug, a pat on the back, an offer of a cup of coffee.

It almost makes me feel like they like me. Like they appreciate me. Like I'm actually wanted here--needed.

This is what greeted me on my first day back at the cheesehouse for the holiday season.

Okay, so it's a little different from the greetings I heard when I returned home.

"What did you bring me?"

"I was only trying to do my lessons! And he just came up and--WHACK!--punched me in the face! For NO REASON!"

"Can I have something to eat?"

"Finally, you're home. Can I leave now?"

To be fair, there are some similarities, too. I did get big hugs. They did tell me they missed me. And I think my husband even offered me a cup of coffee. Or maybe that was on Monday.

I also have to be honest. I didn't really want to work this season. Our lessons at home have been going so well, and even though I'm organized, having printed weekly schedules for those who need it and creating a balance between everyone's precarious schedules so that an adult is always present, and all chores are covered, at least theoretically, I didn't really want to add the big rush of leaving for eight hours a day to my home life.

But this is such a great place to work that I do truly enjoy it. From here, I can hear the clip-clopping of horses' hooves on the pavement outside my window, and the bell-tower chiming lovely, peaceful music. I get a Christmas bonus and a very, very nice Christmas banquet.

And, of course, there's always the cheese.

I wouldn't want to do this all the time, I don't think; work away from home, though it's not that far away.

It is, however, a nice change of pace.

For those of you SAHM, do you ever enter the work world?

Do you remember what life was like in your pre-SAHM world?

What are the biggest differences?

Do you miss it?

Sign me...Cheese Girl

You might like these posts, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin