Friday, October 20, 2006

Life at present

What keeps a writer from writing?

Life.

These past weeks have been so full of life that I haven't wanted to write them down for fear of leaving something very important out. I know that's silly, but it's the way I think. Still, how can I possibly fit it all in?

We've been plugging away at our Ambleside readings and, for the most part, enjoying them. There are, of course, those few items that aren't favorites, but we're continuing on with them in the belief that we'll be quite happy that we did. That has generally been the case so far. Currently, our reading list includes a bunch of stuff about artist Pieter Bruegel the Elder, Macbeth (we're read through all of our other Shakespeare assignments, so I decided to dive into this one). We're also reading Kon Tiki, Bullfinch's Mythology, Robinson Crusoe, Paddle-to-the-Sea, This Country of Ours, An Island Story, Fifty Famous Tales, Aesop's Fables, The Wonder Clock, The Blue Fairy Book, the poetry of Tennyson, selections from Winnie-the-Pooh, and a host of others I can't remember right now. I think we've all been learning quite a bit, and this doesn't even cover our "fun" reading or Bard's reading list.

We were blessed to host a houseconcert on Saturday evening, which you can read about here, and we're looking forward to hosting another on November 18th featuring Jake Armerding. If you have a free evening and want to come, please do. It's sure to be a grand treat.

The homeschool speech and debate season is underway, with four of our five children currently participating. Bard and Houdin are doing both speech and debate, while Sweetheart and Monet are doing speech only. Yesterday, Sweetheart presented The Young Crab and His Mother by Aesop and Monet did an informative speech on rats. I'm leading the varsity speech group, which has been a blast so far. Yesterday, we covered impromptu speeches and Dulcea gave her award-winning persuasive speech from last year, which was quite good. In just a couple of weeks, we'll do our first mini-competition, the Round-Robin, where the novice speakers and debaters compete. They're judged by the varsity students from our own club. I've enjoyed this club immensely, and I think the kids have, too. It has caused them to grow so much and has provided them with a good group of solid, well-spoken, intelligent Christian friends.

The support group season is also underway; that has been a blessing, as well. Bard is currently taken Chemistry, Worldview and Algebra II, Houdin is taking Worldview and Algebra I, and the younger ones are taking sign language. I'm also teaching a women's history class, which has been enjoyable and fascinating. We've all learned so much, and it has been an incredible joy to get to know these girls.

Bard took the PSAT this past week and is anxious to find out how she did. She feels fairly confident that she did well, but she knew that there were some math questions she didn't know how to approach. I'm looking forward to seeing how she did, too. It will be a good gauge of how our education has gone, since she did no "cramming" or test prep ahead of time, but has just basically orchestrated her own education for several years.

For the past few weeks, my friend Kim and I have been walking in the mornings whenever we can. That, too, has been a wonderful blessing. It's refreshing to spend time outdoors, getting exercise, and talking to Kim, with whom I have so much in common. I wasn't able to walk this week, due to schedule conflicts and rain, but I hope to continue walking with Kim all through the winter, if we can. It has felt so good to get that exercise!

Last night, we spent the evening with a fun homeschooling family who plays music at nursing and retirement homes and other places. It was fun to get together with them, talk, share music, find out a bit about them, share a bit about us, and have delicious food! Thank God for friends. God has been bringing some amazing people into my life, and I'm so very pleased. Every one of them is filling a different need that I've had; He is so incredible.

Music has been a fairly central theme in our lives this year, and especially in these past couple of months. With houseconcerts, jam sessions, and music lessons, life has taken on so much sound. I love it! Bard has been progressing very well on her guitar playing, Houdin has been faithfully practicing his bass, and the younger kids are enjoying the piano, especially since we've made the choice to change piano teachers. Also, they've all been happily involved in their individual choir ensembles, which has inspired more music around the house. I've taken the role of choir manager for Sweetheart's choir and it has been such a pleasure to watch her choir director work with the children. I'm looking forward to their first concert, which is approaching quickly!

The only issue in my life right now that just doesn't seem to be resolving is money. If I could find a way to continue enjoying life just the way we are and completely eradicate finances, I'd be unbearably happy. I've even been tempted to play the lottery, believe it or not. There have been a couple of people who have been extremely helpful in assisting us in keeping our heads above water, and I thank God for them every day. Even the little things they've done have been very big in my eyes, especially those people who have extended grace. Thank you. We actually took steps toward credit counseling this past week and hope that it will help us get our feet on solid ground. Please keep us in your prayers.

Along those lines, I made the decision to not work at the cheesehouse this Christmas season. This may seem contrary to what I'm trying to accomplish, but I actually feel that we lost more money with me working than I made, and it caused us to be behind on schooling, caused me to be stressed out, and it obliterated our holiday. I feel like I'm honoring God and my family by choosing not to drive Amish, work outside the home, and instead focus on simplicity in meals and activities. I feel like home and with family is exactly where I need to be, and I'm praying that God will honor that.

And now the morning has begun to slip away, but there is much for me to do. Thanks for indulging me in this little game of blogger catch-up.

Blessings on you!

You might like these posts, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin