On Wednesday night, Bo and I talked about our finances. It wasn't a pleasant conversation, by any means. Bottom line--too many expenses, not enough money. Though I try to bring in enough money to pay for piano lessons and other classes by taking various Amish driving jobs and miscelleneous tasks, growing our own food, shopping thrift stores, raising rabbits to sell and chickens and turkeys to eat, buying food in bulk and cutting corners where we can, we're still, basically, a single-income family struggling to make ends meet.
I offered to get a job at Stuff*Mart. They'd hire me instantly, I'm sure. Bo said he didn't like the idea, but he wasn't going to say "no." Specifically, he said, "I'm not going to say 'no' to God." I thought this was an odd comment, but I held it in my heart.
Yesterday morning, I prayed about our situation. If God could just give me something I could do that I would enjoy, something that would be flexible and keep me close to my family, something that I could do that could take some of the pressure off of my husband and, therefore, take a lot of pressure from me, I would be very grateful.
And then I took Bard to her Biology class.
On the way, I passed my favorite greenhouse. As usual, I checked the sign to see if she was open yet, and saw a small sign announcing, "Opening soon!" On the same sign was written, "Now Hiring."
It took me a few minutes to even consider the option. But as the thought of working there niggle at my brain, it just sounded better and better. Bard has mentioned that she might like to go into botany or horticulture. I love planting, gardening and learning. Maybe the two of us could work together? Maybe Bard could earn enough money to pay for her New England trip or the acting camp she's really been hoping to go to, but we haven't had the money.
I didn't even mention it to Bard. I just dropped her off, went back to the greenhouse, and stepped out of my van...
Friday Freebie Image: Oct 16
11 hours ago
