Wednesday, April 26, 2006

An Outdoor Kinda Day

With the sun so lovely, and the birds singing, and the weather cool and pleasant, can you blame us? Today is an outdoor kinda day! The kids and I planted our annual flower beds with snazzy pink and yellow snapdragons, dusty miller and blue lobelia. I pointed out to Bard that our rows don't march. They sort of, um...meander. ;-) She said, of course, that it doesn't matter.

Bard is planning a garden of her own, an element garden, with different colors and kinds of plants to reflect their element--sun, earth, water, air--with a cluster of red flowers (sun), white flowers (air), blue flowers (water) and earthy things like hens and chicks and fennel for the earth part.

I'm so encouraged to see the perennial garden coming back up. At the end of last season, Bard and I spent all the money we possibly could on gallons of half-priced perennials, enticed Houdin into digging us some space, bribed Bo into filling the pickup truck with rotted horse manure, and buried our treasures. Through the winter, I sprinkled the used rabbit bedding over the perennial beds, and this year, we're being rewarded with happy plants flourishing! I can't wait for the cut flowers this year!

Houdin, too, wants to put in a garden, a pie-shaped piece near the front of the house. Unfortunately, we can't get our little garden tiller started, so we'll have to wait until someone bigger and stronger and more stubborn can do it.

Houdin is also working on our yearly batch of Dandy Burgers:

Dandelion Burgers
1 cup dandelion flowers - pinch the flower at the bottom, roll it and shake off the petals
1/2 cup flower
1/2 tsp salt and garlic powder (or 2 cloves garlic, minced)
1/4 cup chopped onions
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp dried oregano
fresh ground pepper

Mix ingredients and add enough milk to make a stiff batter. Shape in golf ball-size pieces and fry in oil.



Keep the waffle recipes coming!


And now, it's time to resume working. Get out and do some digging!

You might like these posts, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin