Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Creating a Masterpiece

Yesterday was fun.

My two eldest children, Bard (who is FOURTEEN and will not be FIFTEEN until next Tuesday--there, Bard. Are you happy now?), and Houdin (Who is not Houdini, by the way. Houdin was BEFORE Houdini. Houdini actually stole Houdin's name) went with our friend, neighbor, dreamer on a field trip to the main post office in a nearby city. (Note to children: Reports today about post office trip. I mean it. That's it for parenthetical statements). While they were gone, the three youngest children and I stayed home and got creative, making valentines and creating a family masterpiece.

I have commissioned my youngest son to create a painting for me. I was inspired by Amy over at Amy Loves Books who had a painting made for her by her favorite artist, Cooper Sanchez. My nine-year-old son Monet, which is not his real name but his blog name, given to him because he really is an artist, draws very imaginative, creative pictures. I love his style and the subjects he chooses. So, we went to Jo Anne Etc. to buy a whole heck of a lot of art supplies, and I asked him to recreate for me a charming picture that he drew, a picture of sweet little church.


The picture that he created originally was also very inspiring to me. The cross above the church eminated energy. Beside the church stood a tall tree whose underground roots were clearly visible, running and tangling and twisting within the soil. From one of the windows of the church spilled out a curving musical scale filled with notes. It's my favorite picture. I love the imagery and the symbolism.


So, I decided to make yesterday an art day. While Monet was sketching his ideas and color codes on paper, Sweetheart and I started making valentines. Since my children were little, I've loved making simple paper valentines using the shape of the child's hand and a heart in the center, kind of neo-victorian. Is that possible? Anyway, I think its such a sweet image, and I try to do it every year, but I don't always get to it.




After Monet sketched his ideas, he decided to make a few valentines, too. Then we took a break and read Saint Valentine by Robert Sabuda. We might spin off into a little bit about Rome. Anyone have suggestions on kid-friendly Rome study materials? Preferably from the library.

We also read a couple of books about the heart and circulatory system. I picked up a few more from the library last night and hope to read a couple today. If I ever get off this blog.

I tried to help Monet not be intimidated by the blank canvas. Almost immediately, he made a mistake, sketching too low to leave room for the roots. I showed him how we could just use the white paint to cover it up and explained that we won't see the pencil marks at all when we're done, anyway.

Monet and I both worked on the painting. He was having a bit of trouble applying the paint, which is understandable since this is the first time he's painted on a big canvas. I helped him create the sky and told him that it was okay to paint over the lines, because they were just guides. "Like a secret code," he said. Yep, like a secret code.

Last night, as he was putting the finishing strokes on the first layer of paint for the church, he said, "I don't think I like my imagination." He was very serious, and at first I replied with the standard, "Oh, you have a GREAT imagination!" but then I realized that he wasn't looking for compliments. He was stating a concern. "Sometimes, my imagination comes up with scary things. I don't like that."

To be honest, I don't like it sometimes, either. Sometimes I think there's a battle going on for his soul and he just doesn't realize it. Sometimes he'll draw scary monsters and intense battles. Sometimes he'll draw singing angels and bucolic churches.

I've been thinking about Monet and his gift for a long time. And, recently, I've been thinking about the words I posted the other day...




"Train up a child in the way he should go and in keeping with his individual gift
or bent, and when he is old he will not depart from it." (The Amplified
Bible)

I think God is really working in Monet's life.

A couple of years ago, I read an article about a local Christian man who is a homeschooling father and absolutely amazing artist. When I read the article, I just KNEW that he should be a mentor to Monet. At the time, we were living in the cabin (read: "tiny") and working towards building the house. I wanted so badly to have this man come to our home, to give art lessons, but the price was so unrealistic for my budget and the cabin was so, so small. I screwed up the courage and called him anyway. We had a great talk, and have been pining for his instruction ever since.

The Painting So far
Well, I just got a copy of our homeschool support group's newsletter. The artist and his family will be the guest speakers for the next support group meeting, which is this coming Friday. Since I read the newsletter, I've been thinking even more about the impact that an artist like Del Guidice could have as a teacher and mentor in Monet's life. Now, we have plenty of room, plenty of interest...just not plenty of money. I pray that somehow I can work out an arrangment with Mr. Del Guidice and bring him into my home to teach.

I think this week will tell a few interesting tales.

For now, I'm off to work on a masterpiece.

He may need a bit of help with his painting.

You might like these posts, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin