My darling husband Bohemian is taking a bath, so I will take this opportunity to record my thoughts about the past few days in Stream of Consciousness fashion. Here goes...
While my aching body is feeling much better in general, my throat is sore and I believe I'm coming down with laryngitis.
Spent a good part of yesterday at the library preparing for our venture back into Five in a Row.
We will begin with They Were Strong and Good by Robert Lawson
I found a lot of wonderful go-alongs for the book.
When I get them organized, I will post them.
I purchased two large containers to use as big ol' activity containers for each unit we study.
I also took a trip to the Wal*Mart (spoken with a drawl) to buy some canvases, paints and markers so that oldest daughter Bard and I can begin work on Jane Goodall's online curriculum, Lessons for Hope. It really is an interesting project, and I'm looking forward to it. Our first lesson includes sketching a tree. The tree that Jane sketched amazes me. I didn't realize she had such firm Christian roots.
Last night, husband Bo and I went out on a date. A DATE! It's amazing, because I don't feel like I've even SEEN him for a week because we've both been so busy and ill. But we indeed had a date and we spent it in very quality time seeing the movie Hitch. Funny, but doesn't rank on my list of faves.
Daughter Bard had choral practice this morning, so we had to leave early, early, early to drive the hour plus to practice.
I absolutely immersed myself in a trip BY MYSELF to the nearby Barnes and Noble. I was in awe. I found so many cool things that I can't wait until I get rich so I can buy them all.
Among the cool things I found was a journal for Bard's friend Tal whose birthday is fast approaching. Amazing. I've watched this kid grow up, and now look at him. Almost an adult. Wow, huh? Where does the time go?
Anyway, the journal I bought for him was called All About Me for Teens and features many interesting writing prompts which could come in handy for a young blogger and aspiring writer.
I also found a series of books called Daily Sparks which give daily motivators for learning things like History, Vocabulary, Shakespeare, Spelling, Grammar, Geography, Poetry, Pre-Algebra, Journal Writing and Writing. They're in a simple one-idea-per-page format designed to spark an interest in the subject just enough to get a person jump-started to learn about the topic. I found them pretty inspiring and hope to collect all of them. Wonder what cereal box they'll put 'em in?
Barnes and Noble also put out a series of cute little hardcover classics for under $5.00. I was drooling over Treasure Island even though we probably have ten copies of it.
I have to say again that I had a great time at B&N. I've been disenchanted with Borders because they've eliminated most of their cool educational materials in favor of Barbie and Disney coloring books. They no longer carry the Dover coloring books or the meaty workbooks and fun learning stuff they used to carry. Plus, our local Borders got rid of their kids' section. While the books are still there, the tables and seating areas have been completely removed and there are only bookshelves. Not a place that feels comfortable to visit anymore.
After the bookstore, I had a very yummy lunch at Steak&Shake. Is that considered fast food? Because if it is, I screwed up my 101 Things goal of not eating fast food. Actually I think I've already passed my goal, but I wanted to keep it up. Anyway, I had a patty melt and luscious fries. Greasy. Yum. How's that for drivel?
My daughter Bard was finished with her choir practice so I picked her up in time to hear the choir manager announce the winners of a funky contest he'd given. He had each member of the touring choir write down one thing about themselves that they thought was unique. He then compiled a list of all of the things and distributed the lists to the singers. The singers were to match the person with the unique thing. The singer who got the most right answers COULD win:
A 2005 Lamborghini
A trip to Tahiti for themselves and 20 of their closestfriends
OR a gift card to their favorite store
Bard's dear friend Ash got the most right answers and Bard was right behind her, missing four more than Ash.
The facts that most amazed me were:
The female choir manager who collects Homies from gumball machines
The male choir mananger who helped deliver a neighbor's baby.
The choir director who has been held at gunpoint and
The singer who was born with twelve fingers and twelve toes. I asked her if you could tell where the fingers and toes used to be, and she showed me the scars on the sides of her hands where they removed the extra fingers. Extra? Maybe we just didn't get enough. Makes me wonder why they removed them. What's wrong with having twelve fingers and toes? Bard said that maybe they were really fingers but just appendages with no muscles or tendons. Maybe she's right. Possible. Strange, but possible.
Had a great talk with a fellow homeschooling mom and dear friend, Tal's mother. We discussed unschooling and the motivation to learn. I've been thinking about these things a lot lately, especially since I unearthed a project I'd once thought of pursuing which would be encouraging to the unschool-type families. I may pursue this more...who knows. Anyway, we discussed John Taylor Gatto and other alternative learning heroes. It was very inspiring.
When I arrived home, the whole family, except Bard, who is staying with a friend, gathered around the table to make papier mache things. This was Houdin's idea, and it was actually a lot of fun. Our stuff is drying right now, awaiting many more coats of paper.
While we worked, we listened to a bunch of celtic music which made me literally dance around the kitchen. I LOVE that stuff!
9 year old son Monet made brownies.
I spent some time preparing for our Beyond Five in a Row unit study on Neil Armstrong which I'm really looking forward to doing with everyone, but with the boys in particular.
It just so happens that we have two field trips scheduled for a NASA center and an Air Museum.
I found some great resources for stuff about the 30's (is there *supposed* to be an apostrophe there? I need to go read a book on apostrophes. Is there a special plural word for "apostrophe?") and am looking forward to doing a total immersion there.
The kids are now in bed, but when Bo finishes, we're gonna wake the boys to watch Sky Captain while we let Sweetheart and The Baby sleep.
Since it's almost 1AM, I'm beginning to doubt this plan
Friday Freebie Image: Oct 16
11 hours ago
