Thursday, February 03, 2005

Shh! Don't tell anyone!

I've just discovered a secret.

This is very valuable information, and I'm only entrusting my most loyal, trustworthy readers with this knowledge. You may read further, but you musn't tell ANYONE what I'm about to share with you.

If you want to get your children to co-operate--and I mean, if you need them to be very, very good and very, very helpful, here's what you must do.

Just. Put. Them. To. Bed.

A magical thing happens after children have been sent to bed. Suddenly, under these circumstances, they can develop manners, gratitude and a keen sense of awareness about household tasks that need to be accomplished.

I know. I've just witnessed the phenomenon first-hand myself.

The Secret Log:

9:02--Finished a chapter of Mandy and told the kids it was time to get pajamas on and brush teeth.

9:12--Checked to see that each child had indeed brushed teeth and put pajamas on and not just pretended to do so. Yes, sometimes they pretend. I have one child who will wear the same clothes for a week, day and night, if I don't insist that he change. Please don't ask me how I know this. It would be very embarrassing to have to answer.

9:15--Sent children to their beds and began preparations for Morning Glory Muffins.

9:23--Bard comes in, asking if she can blog before she goes to bed. I allow it.

9:41--Bard finishes her blogging and arrives in the kitchen to give me a hug. She tells me that she's sorry she was angry with me. I was not even remotely aware that she HAD been angry with me. I tell her, jokingly, that I'll forgive her if she does a load of dishes. She willingly obliges.

10:03--Houdin comes down from bed and asks if there's anything he can do to help. Bard tells him that he can finish loading the dishes. He does not even argue. He's actually amicable. He willingly obliges.

10:17--Monet comes down and plays with the baby, gives me a big hug, dances with the baby, gives me a big hug and asks if there's anything he can do to help. He offers to do the dishes and willingly takes over loading the dishwasher.

10:32--Sweetheart comes downstairs. Now, all of my children are in the kitchen. None of them are arguing. They are all being kind to each other. They are all being kind to me. A miracle has indeed occured.

10:35--Sweetheart asks Monet if she can help him with the dishes. Monet agrees. Sweetheart willingly finishes loading the dishwasher.

10:41--I get hugs from everyone. I tell them all that it's time for bed.

Now, here's the part of the secret you may not want to hear. The magical spell breaks the minute these wonderful, cooperative children are sent back to their beds. You may choose to avoid this part, but, eventually, that time must come.

10:50--Bard: "May I switch computers with Houdin now? I can't get my CD to read in my drive, and all he ever does is plays JetPack on his" Me: "No, not tonight. You won't be using your CD drive while you're sleeping anyway. You must go to bed now." Bard grunts but grudgingly obliges.

10:57--Loud thump is heard from upstairs. Me: "Whatever that was, it's not part of going to bed! Now GO TO BED!"

11:04--I hear footsteps on the stairs. Me: "Who is out of bed???" Sweetheart: "I just wanted to ask you..." Me: (losing patience) NO! There is NO MORE ASKING! It is TIME for BED!"

11:33--Several loud thumps are heard from upstairs. Now I am yelling at the ceiling, "STOP THUMPING AND GO TO BED!"

There's something I've discovered. It's not really that big of a secret. Many moms become slightly insane and rather grumpy when their children are sent to bed. It can only be cured by going to them and praying for them before they fall asleep.

Use this information at your own risk. I will not be held responsible for anything that might happen as a result of your use of this knowledge.

When angry, do not sin; do not ever let your wrath, your exasperation, your fury or indignation last until the sun goes down.

~Ephesians 4:26. Amplified Bible

You might like these posts, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin