Thursday, February 10, 2005

Grok

I just learned a new word, thanks to Billie-Jean over at My Bountiful Life.

Billie-Jean posted "grok" on one of her comments and I kept wondering what it was, so I looked it up. Here's what I found:

**********************************************************************
grok ( P ) Pronunciation Key (grk)
tr.v. Slang grok·ked, grok·king, groks
To understand profoundly through intuition or empathy.

[Coined by Robert A. Heinlein in his Stranger in a Strange Land.]

grok was Word of the Day on July 15, 1999.
Source: Dictionary.com Word of the Day

grok
/grok/, /grohk/ (From the novel "Stranger in a Strange Land",
by Robert A. Heinlein, where it is a Martian word meaning
literally "to drink" and metaphorically "to be one with")

1. To understand, usually in a global sense. Connotes
intimate and exhaustive knowledge.

Contrast zen, which is similar supernal understanding
experienced as a single brief flash. See also glark.

2. Used of programs, may connote merely sufficient
understanding. "Almost all C compilers grok the "void" type
these days."
Source: The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing, © 1993-2004 Denis Howe

grok
/grok/, var. /grohk/ vt. [from the novel "Stranger in a
Strange Land", by Robert A. Heinlein, where it is a Martian word
meaning literally `to drink' and metaphorically `to be one with']
The emphatic form is `grok in fullness'. 1. To understand, usually
in a global sense. Connotes intimate and exhaustive knowledge.
Contrast zen, which is similar supernal understanding experienced
as a single brief flash. See also glark. 2. Used of programs,
may connote merely sufficient understanding. "Almost all C
compilers grok the `void' type these days."

Copyright © 2005, Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

**********************************************************************

So, thanks, Billie Jean, for expanding my vocabulary today!

Now, here's the question. If I use this word, do I just say "grok?" Or do I say, "I grok" or "I grok you?" Hmmm...

You might like these posts, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin